Date Posted: Oct 7, 2023
Posting Deadline: Posted until filled
Department: Mathematics and Computing Science
Type of Employment: Permanent, Full-Time
Group Affiliation: SMUFU, Rank of Assistant Professor
At Saint Mary’s University, you will be surrounded by a talented and dedicated team of professionals committed to accessibility, diversity, and the provision of a positive and supportive learning environment. We recognize the importance of the contribution and growth of each individual in the University’s success. The Department of Mathematics and Computing Science at Saint Mary’s University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor with a preferred start date of July 1, 2024, in any area of pure mathematics.
The Department of Mathematics and Computing Science offers BSc and BA degrees in mathematics, and graduate student training at both the Master’s and Doctoral levels via the MSc and PhD in Applied Science programs.
Job Information and Responsibilities
As Assistant Professor, the successful applicant will:
- Have a strong desire to help create excellent student learning experiences through curriculum development and delivery of undergraduate teaching, primarily in pure mathematics
- Develop and maintain an innovative, externally funded research program in their field, with student involvement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Contribute to the administrative service activities within the Department, the Faculty of Science, and the University.
Experience and Education Requirements
To be the successful applicant you will have:
- PhD in mathematics (or a closely related field) and will normally have postdoctoral experience.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence in university teaching.
- Strong record of research and well-developed plan to establish an independent, externally funded research program.
- A plan to contribute positively to service activities within the university.
Send complete applications by email to:
Tenure-Track Hiring Committee
Department of Mathematics and Computing Science
Saint Mary’s University
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 3C3
Applicants should provide a single pdf file containing:
- Cover letter (including a clear statement of status as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident)
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching dossier including a statement on teaching philosophy, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and details on experiences training HQP.
- Concise research proposal (5 pages for proposal + 2 pages for references, including a section on HQP training and EDI considerations)
- Names and contact information for three individuals able to act as academic referees, with at least one of whom will address teaching.
- Optional: Candidates may also include a statement detailing career interruptions or other special circumstances relevant to their applications (maximum one page).
The Selection Committee will begin considering applications after Oct. 7. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted by the selection committee. No telephone calls please.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
At Saint Mary’s University, equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Saint Mary’s University
Saint Mary’s University is one of Canada’s top primary undergraduate universities–known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada’s best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary’s provides our 7,000 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada’s east coast, Saint Mary’s University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. The Saint Mary’s University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world—a world without limits.